Friday, June 6, 2008

The Field









On Tuesday and Wednesday, we decided to go out in the field and when I say "field" I mean, Matt's research site in Milford not the alfalfa field. On Saturday I was at the Jensen reunion and Matt's dad, David asked where Matt was and I said "in the field" and he quickly responded "the alfalfa field"?


So instead of Matt leaving us, we decided to make a camping trip of his latest data collection excursion. Matt has a lot of cool instrumentation that he uses to measure water infiltration etc. The boys loved it, despite it being an area of black skeleton trees from the fire last year that burned around 300,00 acres. The atmosphere was slightly creepy, there were these black birds that were in the dozens buzzing over the nearby mountains, the overcast sky, the wind, and the black trees. It's crazy how the boys can be happy anywhere as long as we are outside and in the dirt! But we did go on a really nice hike that the boys especially enjoyed due to all of the bouldering and climbing up and over rocks. It had a beautiful view of these mountains that had been shifted sideways and jutted upwards into the sky (I wish I could remember my geology terms but that will have to do). Before we left, we stopped and looked at this area that had hot pots that literally had boiling mud.

9 comments:

Rob & Autum said...

I didn't know Matt had a test site/field down in Milford he went to. My mom grew up in Milford and I have an uncle who lives there.

Thanks for dinner yesterday. It was so GOOD! I really liked how you flavored the meat. When we get a house then we will definately have to have you guys over.

Chris, Amy, and Millie said...

yeah I don't remember any geology terms either. I just remember having a good time on that geology trip.

alison said...

Yikes!! You are brave to go camping there. Camp is a four letter word to me. AND to go in that area, I couldn't do it.

Anonymous said...

How fun is that! Matt's work looks very interesting. Glad you all had a good time. Love the pictures!

JM Williams Family said...

I am was so glad to hear from you. I have added you to my friends list so I can keep up without too much trouble. John, Ava and I are going to Escalante this weekend to do some hiking. I am sure it won't be anything like the Field, but hpoefully Ava will enjoy our time outdoors.

Kari said...

You are a brave wife and mother. I do not like camping especially if home is within reach. The boiling mud is kind of spooky but I wonder if it would make a good face mask?

kari

Anonymous said...

So Matt, did you have greater infiltration closer to the tree or farther away from it? Your study does look interesting.

Lael said...

Man, you really painted a picture for me there ... I want to use that in a story!

OneBrilliantGirl said...

Becky, I just started laughing when I saw these pictures. It reminded me of a few years ago. A trip to Lake Powell, when we arrived at the beach and the first thing Grandap Jack did was get off the boat and start all of those weeds on fire. I laugh when I think of that memory, so thanks for bringing it back to mind!