Monday, August 9, 2010

gardens

Do you have a garden? What is your favorite garden vegetable? Why?

One thing about renting I don't like is not being able to have a nice garden. We have a tiny garden in the only space available and it gets a lot of shade. So we have a few tomato plants that seem promising, a few onions, a few potato plants and that is it. I recently got done listening to the book Animal, Vegetable, Miracle By Barbara Kingsolver (check out their seasonal meal plans they look so good). Really informative book about their families year long journey of living off their 40 acres of land, only eating things within a 100 mile radius. A couple of things that caught my attention stated something along the lines of; if every family ate 1 meal a week that was home grown it would save a phenomenally large amount of fossil fuels; or if restaurants purchased 10% of their food from locally grown sources it would re-work the entire food system (for the better). It was kind of inspiring, and makes you think about the path our food takes. For the health of me and my family I want to grow more and preserve more food. And be more conscientious about where all the food we buy comes from and change some of the habits.

I added a new post about raspberry pickin' on our family private blog.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

When you see our house - we have a huge garden spot but have to till it up and put new soil in (it was the dog run - ewwww) but I'm excited for next year!!

Jennie said...

Not much of a garden at our home, unfortunately. Sure wish we had space and the knowledge to successfully garden here, but it's a challenge! At least you have a plan and goal for the future, right?? BTW...I didn't know you made your family blog private. I would love to "be invitied!"