So our adventure begins...
We sold our home and left Spanish Fork on April 7th. Matt's brother Mike helped us by pulling a trailer with his truck which was so helpful. Matt and I had to drive separate cars but we made it all in one day. There is the hour time change so we lost an hour somewhere. The last couple hours seemed to go on, I kept wondering which bend would be the last. Our rental home is nice, and it gives us time to settle in, get to know the area better, before we make any big decisions.
We started Caleb in the school here, I was a little concerned at first. The teacher was kind of cold and kind of just shoved him with the other kids and that was it. I think she is overwhelmed to have another student. As I was walking down the hall, I could hear the teacher telling another teacher she had another student and the teacher yells "You have got to be kidding." This didn't sit well with me. But kids are amazing. Caleb is so much more brave then I ever was. When I was his age I moved to a new school in Mexico and I had so much anxiety and really struggled. He really has been adjusting well. I figure we can handle this teacher for a couple of months, then it will be summer break. In P.E Caleb was the last to bounce is basket ball in some kind of game and he won the bumper sticker seen above. We are still scratching our heads.
I took Luke to his first story time here. I am really impressed with the library. He loved making the frog craft and took it very seriously and did such a nice job. He recognized one of his church friends there. I have been impressed with how well he is adjusting.
Cora has been so funny. She is our little busy body. The other night she had us all laughing. We were kneeling together for family prayer and she held her little hands together and whispered some little words and then broke her hands a part and made a loud sound like "amen." We all started laughing so she just kept repeating her little act, and the amen got louder each time. What a sweet angel.
One thing that has been a blessing and a curse is the hot tub here at the rental. A blessing because the kids have had something really unique and fun to do to help make this adjustment easier. That is a real treat. And a curse, because last week I thought we had the curse of bed bugs, because I woke up with these red bumps on my sides that looked like bites, I was basket case. I thought they were bites because the next day I had more. I couldn't sleep after I read that bedbugs come out at dawn to suck your blood then go back in to hiding. I ordered all this stuff from the internet, called the exterminators, talked to the pharmacists, and then finally went to the Dr. Turns out I got a rash from the hot tub. Yuck! There was one night I got in when no one else did. And that was when the pump and heat had stopped working because the water was too low from the boys splashing it all out. But we drained it and started over with the chemicals. I never thought the day would come that I would be happy to hear I have a bacterial infection.
The area is remote and does not have big box stores, but that doesn't bother me too much. We have been told that you just make big lists and go to Bend and shop. That will be fun to go to Bend since Matt served part of his mission there.
We have been on a few drives and seen some of the beauty around here. This area is known for its birds. It is a migratory stop for many birds. They are really amazing. The people we have met here have been so nice and hospitable. And Matt LOVES his job, so that makes this huge change easier. We miss our family but we are already planning a visit.
We sold our home and left Spanish Fork on April 7th. Matt's brother Mike helped us by pulling a trailer with his truck which was so helpful. Matt and I had to drive separate cars but we made it all in one day. There is the hour time change so we lost an hour somewhere. The last couple hours seemed to go on, I kept wondering which bend would be the last. Our rental home is nice, and it gives us time to settle in, get to know the area better, before we make any big decisions.
We started Caleb in the school here, I was a little concerned at first. The teacher was kind of cold and kind of just shoved him with the other kids and that was it. I think she is overwhelmed to have another student. As I was walking down the hall, I could hear the teacher telling another teacher she had another student and the teacher yells "You have got to be kidding." This didn't sit well with me. But kids are amazing. Caleb is so much more brave then I ever was. When I was his age I moved to a new school in Mexico and I had so much anxiety and really struggled. He really has been adjusting well. I figure we can handle this teacher for a couple of months, then it will be summer break. In P.E Caleb was the last to bounce is basket ball in some kind of game and he won the bumper sticker seen above. We are still scratching our heads.
I took Luke to his first story time here. I am really impressed with the library. He loved making the frog craft and took it very seriously and did such a nice job. He recognized one of his church friends there. I have been impressed with how well he is adjusting.
Cora has been so funny. She is our little busy body. The other night she had us all laughing. We were kneeling together for family prayer and she held her little hands together and whispered some little words and then broke her hands a part and made a loud sound like "amen." We all started laughing so she just kept repeating her little act, and the amen got louder each time. What a sweet angel.
One thing that has been a blessing and a curse is the hot tub here at the rental. A blessing because the kids have had something really unique and fun to do to help make this adjustment easier. That is a real treat. And a curse, because last week I thought we had the curse of bed bugs, because I woke up with these red bumps on my sides that looked like bites, I was basket case. I thought they were bites because the next day I had more. I couldn't sleep after I read that bedbugs come out at dawn to suck your blood then go back in to hiding. I ordered all this stuff from the internet, called the exterminators, talked to the pharmacists, and then finally went to the Dr. Turns out I got a rash from the hot tub. Yuck! There was one night I got in when no one else did. And that was when the pump and heat had stopped working because the water was too low from the boys splashing it all out. But we drained it and started over with the chemicals. I never thought the day would come that I would be happy to hear I have a bacterial infection.
The area is remote and does not have big box stores, but that doesn't bother me too much. We have been told that you just make big lists and go to Bend and shop. That will be fun to go to Bend since Matt served part of his mission there.
We have been on a few drives and seen some of the beauty around here. This area is known for its birds. It is a migratory stop for many birds. They are really amazing. The people we have met here have been so nice and hospitable. And Matt LOVES his job, so that makes this huge change easier. We miss our family but we are already planning a visit.
7 comments:
Are those snow geese in your picture? Very neat! If you get the chance, and as soon as it warms up, you'll have to plan a trip south to The Steens. Amazing mountains and very remote. And then of course there's always west to the beaches and a visit here in Sutherlin (highly recommended!) Sorry to hear about the hot tub curse... You could donate it to us and be rid of your woes anytime! :-)
Rob was getting anxious that you hadn't posted something new on your blog for a little while. He kept asking me, "Has Kate updated her blog?...Why hasn't Kate posted something on her blog yet?" He was happy when he saw the update and so was I!
Glad you guys are settling in and doing well...besides the infection. That sounds like something I would do, LOL!
Great to see your blog update. I've been waiting to see it too.
Cora looks JUST like you in the first pic with the boys. She is growing up so quickly. I'm glad the boys are adjusting so well. Kids are amazing. How wonderful Matt loves his job - Hooray! Mostly - happy your "bed bugs" weren't bed bugs!!
Miss you tons and can't wait to see you this weekend. LOVE YOU!
You made it! Congratualtions! Thanks for the update on the move and transition. We have been thinking of you all a lot and have been looking forward to finding out how it is all going. Your family is amazing. I am so impressed with how well the kids are doing. Caleb is so brave. And you are so strong. I would have wanted to turn around and smack his teacher! Luke is so smart too, and you are so great to be taking him to the library. You sound like you are fitting in and getting the swing of things. Cora is hilarious. I love her little prayer! She must have lots of great examples around her showing her how!:) I hope you and the kids enjoy the open space. And how cool to be close to Matt's mission area. We miss you guys. Keep us posted!
WOW!! I haven't checked your blog for a while, and I was shocked to find you in OR. Burns is a cool little place, and we enjoyed OR so much. Good luck with adjusting, and tell Matt congrats on the new job. Brooke wants to know what his position is? Did I miss that somewhere?
How Exciting! GOOD LUCK!
Wow...for some reason I was thinking you weren't moving to OR until school was out! So happy to see that you made it safe and are enjoying the area!
I know remote...we make a LONG list and drive 2.5 hours to hit a Wal-mart! Gotta love the simple life though!
Post a Comment