Monday, June 22, 2009

Father's Day



Father's day what a great day. After my Dad passed away I did not look forward to Father's Day and I hated Sunday when as a primary child I would have to go in front of the congregation and sing all the father songs. I am grateful for the father's in my life and for Matt's side of the family. I treasure that he still has one grandfather living and I appreciate the time we have with him. Grandma Lois and Grandpa Jack (they are in the eighties) are planning a camping expedition up 12 mile canyon in their sheep camp, just the two of them. So Grandma gave him a new quilt, towels, and said she was going to make curtains, to fix it up a bit. They are going to visit sites where Grandpa Jack ran his sheep in the past. He said he marked a lot of the trees "Jack Madsen" and someone who worked in that area later carved in an extra word so it said "Jack Ass Madsen"...he just laughed about. When I was going to take their picture, Grandma says "put your arm around me like its father's day."

Matt's family always gives him a hard time for being in school for so long...and I kind of join in it too, I guess because it has been a long time. Matt told everyone that I said I would leave him if he didn't get done this year (which I didn't say in so many words, jk, I would never leave him). I was thinking about that last night and I feel kind of bad about what I said and that I didn't say anything positive. I am very proud of Matt and I am amazed at all he has accomplished no matter how long it takes (and really he is right on schedule...bachelor: 5 yrs (part time first couple of years), masters: 1.5 yrs and PhD: 3 yrs). So instead I say "Matt rocks". I am sticking with him forever. What a great Dad he is to our kids. It has been fun to see a new side to him with our baby girl. He is always telling her how beautiful she is. I am one lucky lady. Life is good.

2 comments:

Jayci said...

I love Grandpa Jakc and Grandma Lois so much. I love that they're going on their own little camping trip. The Madsen's have some great men and great fathers.

Poor Matt and all of his school and teasing!

Life is good.

Lots of Love - Jayci

Unknown said...

That's exactly how I feel/felt about Father's Day.... hopefully I'll have more positive things to celebrate in the near future.

Matt's grandparents are so cute.

I agree - Matt you do ROCK! I'm so proud of you. Working at a university, I see firsthand how much time/effort goes into a PhD - I don't think I could do it so I hope Kate passes this on, "You are awesome!"