Wednesday, August 27, 2008

North to Alaska

Matt and Caleb had the opportunity to go to Alaska with Matt's Dad, Grandpa Jack, Mike, Uncle Scott, Uncle Allen, and Allen's father Paul. I thought it was great that there were four generations of Madsen's that went (Caleb,Matt, David, Grandpa Jack). Matt and I spent an amazing summer in Sitka, Alaska in 2004 when Caleb was 2 years old working for the Forest Service. We lived in a historic home owned by the Forest Service where I was stationed to be an interpreter of sorts, in exchange for free housing. We lived upstairs and had a beautiful million dollar view of the ocean. It was an adventure we will never forget, where we met some amazing people, namely the entire Parker family. Since that time, the men have gone back to fish, this being Matt's second time returning. There has been a little bit of exchanging with the fish guides for hunting experiences in Utah. Matt and Caleb enjoyed their trip, the weather was a bit chilly and Caleb told me "it rained all day." They even spent the day in a backwoods shack boiling crab in an old keg. It is so beautiful there! I hope we can go as a family in the future.

I wanted to post some of my favorite pictures of their experience.




Caleb

The lodge where they stayed



Humpback whale (my favorite thing about AK)


Grandpa David and Caleb in a backwoods shack


Mike and Caleb

Matt, Mike and Caleb

Caleb and Great-Grandpa Jack breaking shrimp

Rock Crab and Caleb



Caleb Relaxing

11 comments:

Rob & Autum said...

Those pictures are beautiful! It looks like they all had a lot of fun!

Sorry, I didn't get your message until the next day. I hope Matt's mom was able to tend Luke for you.

Unknown said...

Cute Caleb (and Matt) - he's growing up so fast. It is so pretty there, I may have to meander on up there - when it's during the warm....er weather anyway.

Lets have a fish fry!!

Rob & Autum said...

I think it is a new feature they recently added. You can also have other things like the titles displayed.
Anyway, you just go into layout and click add a gadget. Then you click on blog list. I just copied and pasted all my people from my link list I had. It took a while but I really like it! Call me if that doesn't make sense or you have questions!

OneBrilliantGirl said...

Great pictures! And how fun for Caleb to be able to go with. I keep waiting for a Madsens Girls Trip...don't you?

MommyMert said...

Wow, its beautiful there. What an adventure for you boys.

jen said...

Oh my goodness!!! Not only is that an amazing place but what an amazing experience for your "boys". These are the kinds of memories that you will want to cherish forever. :)

Jordan said...

How lucky Caleb is to get to go on such an amazing trip! Alaska looks beautiful...my parents have been there, my turn next!

alison said...

I bet everyone loved having Caleb there. I didn't realize it would be an amazing trip. To see the whales would be awesome. Too bad the girls don't go! How's your pregnancy going?

Anonymous said...

Wow, what an amazing trip!!! Great pictures! Looks like everyone had an awesome time - especially Caleb. So glad you all had the change to see Alaska again.

Nate and Karen said...

Alaska is so beautiful. Caleb looks so grown up I cant believe it!

sherbugs said...

wow, Wow, WOW! I'm ready to pack my bags and move! Utterly amazing...I can't get over all the green. I hope your boys had a wonderful time full of memories!