Saturday, April 19, 2008

a tale about a hike

Last night after Matt got home from school we decided to do this hike we have been wanting to do ever since we heard about it. It is up spanish fork canyon, diamond fork I believe. So we loaded up in the car bringing along the dog too. It was getting dusky as we started the hike and were a little worried since we forgot our head lamp. But I knew it was supposed to be a full moon so we risked it. The boys were so amazing, Luke rode in the kidpack most of the way and Caleb hiked the entire way at a pretty awesome pace. We finally got to the hot springs and after some fumbling around we got in, and it did feel good in spite of the slimy rocks and the smell of the sulfur springs. The boys were so happy to be there and loved the water! Daisy was desperate to get in but we tried keeping her out, she did jump in once. We were enjoying ourselves, it was a little crowded but what can we expect on a Friday night, there were love birds, a huge troop of boy scouts, old weird bachelors (one that was real friendly and visiting with us and then he got out and changed right there in front of us, so I guess we got to enjoy two full moons that evening)...when we finally got out to make our trek home the moon was out and beautiful against the neighboring waterfall and through the trees. Caleb had a little more difficult time coming home but he was so tough and at the end he was so happy to have made it! We got back to the car and it was 11:15 pm, the latest the boys have stayed up ever excluding New Years Eve. But it felt good to get out and do something that is a little challenging. It reminded Matt and I of a time we were hiking up in the mountains near his home and we got lost! He was so embarrassed because they were "his" mountains, luckily it was a full moon (also a blue moon) and we had no trouble seeing but it ended up being a lot more hiking than we had anticipated, getting home quite late when we both still lived with our parents. It ended up being such an adventure and one of our fondest memories of our early dating time, it was also the night we had our first kiss. Good times.

7 comments:

Jordan said...

I know I've said it before, but you guys are so fun! We'll need to get directions from you for that hike...

Kari said...

I've never even heard of that and it is practically in our back yard. What a fun adventure for your family!

alison said...

What a fun story! You are brave to take the whole family for a late night hike. The "mooning" hopefully make it all worth it! The first kiss story is a good one too! thanks for sharing!

Anonymous said...

Good times, good times! We haven't been up to that hot springs, but we have been up to one in Ogden Canyon. Probably not quite as nice of a place as where you were, but just as many fruitcakes to be sure! Thanks for the fun story!

Adventure Slavens said...

Good story. One more reason why we think your little family is so cool! We miss you guys! Keep up the good adventures.

M&M factory said...

Becky you are lucky that all you and your kids saw was an extra moon. Those hot springs are notorious for drunken sex parties. They were that way when my dad was there in School, When Justin graduated in 1986 and when we graduated in 1997. Whenever I would go back to visit friends in Spanish Fork, Payson and Salem my dad would bring up the evils and where not to go. I liked your story about your first kiss. It's always nice to remember when you... the firsts.

Lael said...

Hey, I did that hike when I was 14, and in Young Women's, getting ready for girls camp. How fun! I haven't thought about that in years!