Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Christianburg

Matt is from Mayfield, but the official name of where he grew up is Christianburg or "the burg", which is just West of Mayfield on the other side of the white hills. There are just a handful of homes out there but they are a tight nit community. It is a very special place, I fell in love with it when Matt and I were dating. Last weekend we were in need of getting out of the city and going home to the fresh air, where it is beautiful, quiet, and there is always something to do. The boys enjoyed blasting of rockets, flying kites, and going for a four-wheeler ride. Matt and I hope some day we can raise our family there and if not there somewhere in the world just like it. In a place where our boys can have the experience of working on a farm and enjoying the simple things in life. Christianburg has beautiful color and even some rock art left by native americans, the "billy goat" is a landmark we often visit, the boys love exploring around there and were lucky enough to have Trevor's expertise in finding special caves and the like. Matt and I went there a lot when we were dating too, I remember riding horses out there on a double date in the spring when there was a lot of mud and Matt was riding a flighty horse and it reared it's legs up and Matt being the horseman he is was able to not get bucked off. I love hearing about the stories Matt has while growing up in this great place, he was teased being called a "prairie dog" but a small price to pay to have such a rich environment. One story I love is that he used to get a bucket to stand on in order to saddle his horse up and to even get on. He took care of bummer lambs as a wee child and always had some responsibility. When I met him he worked excavation for his Dad and I remember thinking he looked pretty hot in the big machines. Matt is an amazing person and I believe he has a great deal to owe to his upbringing, I am blessed to have him in my life.
Caleb, Trev, Luke and dogs
Luke riding Whitey with Matt
Counting down 10,9,8...
Grandma Debra and Luke
Grandpa David and Caleb
The "billy goat"
Luke and LaDeau

6 comments:

Kari said...

I had to laugh when you referred to Spanish Fork as "the city" you were getting away from. I like to visit the country but I wouldn't want to live there. Looks like you had a lot of fun!

Kari

Jordan said...

I would love to live a life like that...sounds like such a wonderful place! I loved the picture of Luke on the horse...I don't think my boys have ever even sat on a horse...we talk about having land someday and getting horses, but I don't think we'd really even know what to do with them. We'll call you first for some training!

alison said...

I love this post. I think you have to have family there or be raised there to really appreciate the place. I hope some day you can live there.

Lael said...

Christianburg must turn out great people, because look at Matt!

Anonymous said...

you guys look like you had too much fun down there! Did you know that Jonas has never been on a horse, pony, donkey or anything... Ever!!! Your kids are lucky!

Nate and Karen said...

Check out Karen's new blog!