Thursday, March 3, 2011

Great Post

My friend Janna is a guest post writer for C. Jane Blog. Here is the latest post about eating disorders. Eating Disorders are kind like a silent addiction. People just don't like talking about eating disorders, especially since at times it is "widely regarded as 'normal,' and even (horrifyingly) 'admirable.'" The more information that gets out there the better. After working in an eating disorder treatment center as a care tech, I saw first hand how difficult this struggle is and how it should not be passed off as something that you can just get over at any time. It is not that easy. It takes intensive help! The other day I was talking to a woman in her 60's she mentioned nonchalantly how all teenage girls throw up, I was a little shocked by this and wonder if the view of eating disorders is changing...
One of my goals as a mother is that I can raise my children with healthy beliefs about their bodies and love for who they are inside and out...
I also loved this quote:
The body holds meaning. When we probe beneath the surface of our obsession with weight we will find a woman obsessed with her body is expressing a serious concern about the state of her soul.” (Kim Chernin, author of The Hungry Self: Women, Eating and Identity and The Obsession: Reflections on the Tyranny of Slenderness)

1 comment:

Seidi said...

Thanks for posting this Becky. I really enjoyed reading it. Hope all is well with your little fam in Oregon!`