Monday, May 24, 2010

Three Cups of Tea

If you are looking for an amazing book to read, this is a must! I could not put this book down. It really painted a picture of what Pakistan and neighboring countries are really like and a better understanding of the culture and conflict in the Middle East. The book followed the journey of Greg Mortenson. He failed to summit K2 (in memory of his little sister who passed away) and made a wrong turn winding up in the Korphe village where he found his passion (where he also felt his sister guiding him to this passion). The people helped him regain his strength and he promised to come back and build them a school. I love his main theme of the book. Education is the way to peace. He also feels strongly that if a girl receives at least a 5th grade education the whole community will be better. The mortality rate will go down, less sickness, and her children will be educated. It was inspiring to hear a few of the success stories of young women going on and having dreams to bring education to their village. It also suggests that if we help children receive balanced education the need for war would cease. It would transform the recipients view the US. I was not aware that Saudi oil money funded Madrassas (supposed "schools" that popped up all over the middle East that were teaching the students solely the extremist views and leaving out the basic education). Counter-acting with balanced education just makes sense. I agree with this whole heartedly. I guess one reason this tugged at my heart-strings so much (I kept finding my self crying while reading) is my experience in Guatemala as a volunteer teacher. The schools I worked for are trying to give the native Mayan culture a chance to increase their education and rise above poverty and hopefully be able to achieve some higher education. I love the Perpetual Education Fund through the LDS church. This gives small loans to those who want to improve skills in some form of higher education. Then after the individual gets a job they are able to repay the loan debt back and the assistance just continues to fund others and improve their lives significantly. This book is inspiring to see how one person who has the drive and heart can make a difference. I admire Greg Mortenson for his integrity, because he always kept his word no matter how difficult, the people trusted him and came to love him. Integrity is something the world could use more of. He also learned lessons from the people he served and changed as he learned a better way. I can't wait until I can go on humanitarian missions with Matt. I have been trying to think of ways to get my children involved. They do have a website www.penniesforpeace.org that would be a great place for us to start.

Angela thanks for suggesting this book. I have been wanting to read it and so glad I did. If anyone wants to borrow my copy they may.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I'm glad you liked it! He has another book called 'Stones for Schools' but I haven't read it.