










We planned a last minute trip to Disneyland. We figured it may be kind of difficult for us to get work off etc. when now we have a little more freedom. And the kids have so many changes coming up we thought it would be nice to do something fun before everything gets going. We did a day of service and got a free pass to Disneyland (just 6 and up qualify), which was an amazing experience in itself. We went to an Assisted Living center here and the kids read poems, sang songs, and we visited with the residents. One couple was from Boulder, Utah, which is close to where my grandpa Allen grew up. Matt could really relate to this cattle rancher since he grew up on a sheep ranch. We really enjoyed this and are hoping to make this something we do on a regular basis. I love Disney for doing this program, their intent is to get people to serve where they live. Disneyland was so great! The kids loved all the rides, especially Buzz light year, Nemo, the train ride, Star Tours to name a few. Caleb got chosen to be a part of the Jedi Training Session and even got to fight Darth Vader, and use the push force against the storm troopers. He acts like it was no big deal but he is practicing his use of the force all the time. Cora and I rode the dumbo ride together. The best part for parents we now realize is watching your kids have a blast.
Debra booked us a really amazing condo with Worldmark which was within walking distance to Disneyland. We loved it, it had a great pool, hot tubs on the roof, great modern design...David and Debra were going to come with us, but with heavy hearts we went without them. Debra is now recovering from surgery where her ovaries and some tumors were removed. She has cancer. I am scared for her journey and sad we are leaving when she will need so much support. The Saturday before the surgery we were able to go to the temple as a family and be together and it is comforting to know the teachings of the gospel of Jesus Christ. So please pray for our sweet Debra we love and need her so. Matt talked to her about rescheduling our trip, but she wouldn't let us disappoint the kids. Debra is the most selfless person I know.
The beach was my favorite part of our vacation. There is something so peaceful about the beautiful waves crashing in on the shore. I loved watching the boys wildly running in and out of the surf. Cora loved her first beach experience and even tasted the sand. It was a little cool, but beautiful.
8 comments:
What a heart pulling post, I was so excited about your trip and how you got to do the service with the boys...then I read about Debra and the tears are now flowing. We'll definitely keep a prayer for her, and of course all of you in our hearts. I love Debra to pieces. Even when we were small, running around the ranch with Matt and Mike...tearing up the ant hills and getting into all sorts of mischeif...I saw first hand the huge heart that she had, the patience, and the kindness. I've dreamt of being a mom like her my whole life. xoxo to all of you, trina
Sounds like a fun vacation. I'm glad you guys could get away. I can't wait to take Kaiya to Disneland. I'll have to do that service thing if they still do it. I'm sorry about your mother-in-law- I hope things go well/better.
Random question. I remember forever ago you mentioning that you turned your blog into a book. Who did you do it with? Thanks much. Hope all is going well.
Amy
What a fun trip! Adorable pictures of Cora too! Hope you got all good and rested up for your big move!
Debra is in my prayers - I love that woman. She's absolutely remarkable.
I'm so glad you guys got to go - what a great experience for the kids. The pictures are great. Thanks for sharing Kate. So much love for you guys!!
We are all thinking and praying so much for not only Debra but all of you.
So glad you got to enjoy Disneyland! You're absolutely right...watching your children's excitment and happiness is the greatest joy ever!
Amy if you read this (I couldn't sign into your blog), the website is blurb.com...you download booksmart from their website and use that. It is awesome! Good luck.
Take care!
Your trip looks like it was TONS OF FUN!!
Keeping the Madsen Family in my thoughts and prayers!
Post a Comment