The culmination of all of Matt's hard work came together on Monday when Matt defended is PhD dissertation. This was a good day. Matt has worked tirelessly for literally years. When we first moved to Logan for Matt to get his undergraduate degree in Watershed and Earth Systems we hadn't planned much beyond that. The road has been long but the journey good. When we look back there are things that we thought weren't that great at the time, now we see the hand of the Lord in guiding our path. We are so grateful.
In the morning before school I asked Caleb if he wanted to go and he kind of was non-committal but then I said I would get him out of school for it so then he changed his mind in a hurry. He quickly got to work on something and it turned out to be a cheering sign for Matt. Before he left for school he wanted to make sure I remembered to bring the sign. Caleb was my little helper and helped me carry things and get the refreshment tarts from Kneaders (so good). During Matt's presentation, every so often Caleb would slowly hold up the sign for Matt (we were on the back row, so not too disturbing). Everyone complimented Caleb on his awesome sign. Matt did an awesome job and it was amazing to see how much he has accomplished in the three years he has been at BYU. Matt's committee talked to me after it was over and had really good things to say about Matt. One committee member said "Matt is the most outstanding student I have ever met." He also said that when Matt told him about some ideas, he didn't think it was possible, but then Matt would accomplish it. They were so nice, I felt like I was married to a celebrity. It was awesome to be there and see this end result. On the drive home, I would think about him being done, and I would tear up...I can't believe it is real! This is such an exciting time for our family. We have been in school our entire ten year marriage. But now here it is, DONE!
*A special thanks to Ann for watching the Luke and Cora so I could attend!
6 comments:
Absolutely awesome! We're sooo proud of all of you! You've worked so hard to get where you're at... Definitely something to be hugely proud of! Does this mean Matt is officially a "doctor"?! PS: we love the sign too!
I am so excited for you guys! I bet it feels so good to have him done with school. Way to go Matt!
So very proud of Matthew!! What a feat to earn a PhD! Caleb is such a thoughtful boy. Kate you deserve a party too - it takes a lot to be so supportive.
WaHoo!!! You made it!!! That is awesome, congrats! I knew it would come someday. Hahaha. SO, what's next?
Oh my gosh! That's so awesome! I'm so excited for you guys to be able to move on from the school phase of life. :) I hope that things can kinda slow down for you guys!
Matt has worked so hard and it's no suprise that everyone has such good things to say about him. Matt is such a good person.
So, are there any big plans for the future? Keep us all posted!
Hooray! What are you going to do with yourselves now???
We have LOTS of National Forests close to us up here...potential job opportunities!!!
Post a Comment