Monday, June 8, 2009

Okay so I lost my camera, well I didn't lose it my husband borrowed it to take in the field, because his field camera was being used by some other students(hence the missing photos in the reunion post). In some ways I am not too devastated because I have been wanting to get a digital slr camera, but sad I lost some of my photos. So I am asking for your input. Do you have a favorite slr digital camera brand? Or any helps in where to buy one?

8 comments:

Jonas, Dohnele, and Emma said...

All the hype will point you to a Canon, but I totally wouldn't go that route. You'd be buying a name and that's it. I have a Canon SLR for work and the camera is good, but the quality of the pictures is surprisingly not so good.

I hear good things about the Nikon D90 and I think you can buy them at Costco in a "starter pack" which will give you the camera, extra lens and some other things for a decent price.

We have a Panasonic FZ50 (http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicfz50/) which we LOVE!!! It's not a full-blown SLR, but it's close. The quality of the pictures are really good, it has a built in 420mm telephoto which you won't find on any SLR and it's very user friendly (even more so than our point-and-shoot Canon) and it's literally half the price of any SLR. And it has all the options that an SLR has including the ability to interchange lenses, filters, etc.

Check out OneCall when you're shopping. They've got a really good selection and decent prices for cameras.

I used this site to compare a lot of cameras, because they have literally everything you want to know about cameras: http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/

This site is incredibly useful too - especially the video tour and reviews they offer: http://www.cameralabs.com/reviews/digital_camera_and_lens_reviews.shtml

Good luck and let us know what you end up getting! If you can't tell we love photography :-)

Rob & Autum said...

I am sorry you, well Matt I guess lost your camera! I don't know as much about cameras as the person who commented above but we have liked ours. It is a Sony and I can email you with the exact type. Although it can be a little bulky at times, it takes good pictures, especially outside. If I knew how to run it better it might take better pictures. I sometimes struggle getting good pictures of Carter with his eyes open inside because the flash is bright and the shutter speed is a little slow if there is not good lighting. You can borrow our for a little while to see if you like it if you want. Just let me know. We will probably be coming up in a couple of weeks!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the info!!

Unknown said...

We'll see if this will happen after looking at the prices! Hopefully.

Kerri said...

I have a canon rebel that I bought on KSL. I love it. Sheri has a Nikon and loves it. I think both are good brands. But i'm not an expert at all. I could only afford this camera by buying it used though.

Nate and Karen said...

Go with a Nikon! They are a bit pricy, but worth every penny!! The quality is great!!!!

Anonymous said...

In a more affordable range I would say go with Nikon, though if you want to throw it all to the wind take a look at Leica.

Sara said...

I am such a Canon girl- I own three different ones! I love my rebel xt, but I bought just the camera and a lens separately. The lens that comes with it is ok for a starter, but I honestly would save the money, just buy the body, and invest in a bit better lens. If you decide to go that route, I can offer some more suggestions!