Caleb on swingSaturday Cora and I spent the day with my sisters and mom in Ephraim at the Scandinavian Festival in Ephraim while the boys went on a really long four-wheeler ride up Salina canyon. I love spending time with my sisters, any chance we get is so great, since we all get busy in our own lives it doesn't happen as much as we would like.
On Sunday we went to the cemetery where my Dad and sister are buried and someone had run over and peeled out over my Dad's head stone and made huge ruts in the grass. It was sad. I got kind of down after that and couldn't sort out my feelings. When we got home I still felt overwhelmed with what I identified later as anger and grief. Logically in my mind I think since my Dad died so long ago that I shouldn't be sad or angry that he is gone but it kind of hit me like a ton of bricks. I looked out the window of our home and the rain was just pouring down so hard, we opened the door and the boys of course ran out into the rain and I handed Cora to Matt and joined them. The rain was so cleansing and helped me get out of the fog I was in.
Monday morning we went to the cabin which is always so much fun! We had cousins watch Cora while she was sleeping and were able to go for a four-wheeler ride it was so beautiful and great to be out and see the wild flowers in bloom. Matt took the boys for a horse ride, Caleb doesn't like horse riding much but Luke loves it. When they got back Luke asked me if I missed him. Matt said he said we better go back so Mom doesn't miss us too much. Caleb loved the swing that a cousin Adam made and so did I. We finished the evening by roasting hot dogs and marshmallows with Grandma Debra and Grandpa David. It was a very needed break!
On Sunday we went to the cemetery where my Dad and sister are buried and someone had run over and peeled out over my Dad's head stone and made huge ruts in the grass. It was sad. I got kind of down after that and couldn't sort out my feelings. When we got home I still felt overwhelmed with what I identified later as anger and grief. Logically in my mind I think since my Dad died so long ago that I shouldn't be sad or angry that he is gone but it kind of hit me like a ton of bricks. I looked out the window of our home and the rain was just pouring down so hard, we opened the door and the boys of course ran out into the rain and I handed Cora to Matt and joined them. The rain was so cleansing and helped me get out of the fog I was in.
Monday morning we went to the cabin which is always so much fun! We had cousins watch Cora while she was sleeping and were able to go for a four-wheeler ride it was so beautiful and great to be out and see the wild flowers in bloom. Matt took the boys for a horse ride, Caleb doesn't like horse riding much but Luke loves it. When they got back Luke asked me if I missed him. Matt said he said we better go back so Mom doesn't miss us too much. Caleb loved the swing that a cousin Adam made and so did I. We finished the evening by roasting hot dogs and marshmallows with Grandma Debra and Grandpa David. It was a very needed break!






7 comments:
Matt didn't let you drive the four-wheeler?! That guy is crazy on four-wheelers... Ask him about four-wheelers and Yakutat!
You know, it would be worth it to come out to Utah just so that Emma could ride a horse! She'd love it!
Sounds like a good memorial weekend! All of the pics are awesome. I love the one of Hunter and Luke running through the mud!
I agree, spending time with my sistas is the best!!
I know what you mean about Dad... love you!!
I am glad that you overall had a great weekend. It was good to see you before we went to Portland!
Luved all of these photos! What a wonderful weekend! xoxo, trina
We went to see Jeff's Dad's grave too. Jeff's mom told me how when he died, it was winter and they couldn't put up the headstone till the following spring. When they installed it, she bought a big bunch of Daisies for it because she thought it looked bare. Then she went home and had to mow the lawn, a job that she never had to do when her husband was alive. As she mowed, she got more and more angry at him for dying, and finally went back to the cemetery and threw out the flowers. That was 30 years ago. Now she laughs about it, but everyone mourns in their own way.
What dingnut was driving around in a cemetery anyway. What a putz.
Sorry about your experience at the cemetery...some pleople, seriously. Looks like your other time spent over Memorial weekend was very enjoyable...I love all the pics, especially Grandpa Jack kissing the horse...that is priceless! Your boys and baby Cora are all so cute. Hopefully we'll get to see you all this summer. Are you doing Lake Powell? Hopefully schedules will work out for us to go.
Post a Comment