Wednesday, May 27, 2009

Great-grandma Allen

Elise, Luke, Grandma, Caleb, Cora

My Dad's Mother, Wanda Allen, is living in a care-center nearby, and we went to visit her for her birthday. My Mom, sister Ann, sister Shirley and her daughter Elise went together. She has dementia but sometimes will surprise us by remembering one of us. Since we are the children of her youngest son, I think she has a harder time remembering who we are and which child we are in the family. She thought I was my oldest sister Shirley, then later looked at me and decided I wasn't her and asked who I was. When I was really young my grandparents lived near us in Utah and Idaho. My Grandma taught me my first piano and clogging lessons (I never took clogging but later danced ballet which she didn't seem too interested in). She always had these great ideas for songs and dances for family programs at our family reunions. When I was in my teens she would ask me how much I weighed, and after I would tell her she would tell me "you look just like me when I was younger". She is tall and always had a very straight back. She loves seeing my children, and it was so cute to see her play with Cora's little toes. I would imagine if I were alone all of the time it would be refreshing to see sweet little ones.

2 comments:

Nate and Karen said...

What great memories you have with your grandma. It makes me miss my grandma and visiting her at the care center. Take advantage of the time you get with her!

Perschon Family said...

That was sweet! And your boys are so dang cute! I just love seeing what your Luke is up to since I have a Luke too! And I can't believe Cora is 3 months! She is precious!