












We spent Christmas Eve at Matt's parents home. They made a wonderful dinner of shrimp and prime rib, but before we sat down to eat Santa and Mrs. Claus stopped by for a visit and gave us all a bag of candy! After dinner we sat down and had a program, Emily had a really neat activity where we each got to pick something out of a basket that represented a symbol of Christmas, each one had a scripture or song and activity. It really was special to learn more about the symbols and how they relate to the Savior, and to focus on him as this is why we celebrate Christmas. After we heard from everyone about one of their favorite Christmas memories.
Grandpa Jack-shared one about being a young boy and hiding behind a red curtain upstairs and falling asleep...and he was so happy to find tools in the morning.
Grandma Lois-shared about Christmas at her Aunt Dot's home.
David-shared about a Christmas on his mission in Patzicia, Guatemala, the seminary had sent him some money so he bought beans and rice with the money and handed bags to the members and seeing them with tears in their eyes as they received such a simple gift. This experience meant a lot to me because I was able to teach English in the same community before Matt and I got married.
Debra-talked about spending Christmas Eve at her Grandma Cora's home which was not very big but held the whole family, they ate in shifts adults first and kids last. (Cora is the name I want to use for our baby, but we'll see Matt is not a huge fan but I love it)
We played bingo and Mike kept winning over and over, the balls must have been rigged. Trevor made sure the boys remembered to leave cookies and milk for Santa. The boys were so happy in the morning they got the one thing they asked for! It was hard to get them interested in opening other gifts. Grandma Debra gave them the most wonderful quilts! They have a pirate theme and the package even included chocolate coins. We also went on our annual Christmas treasure hunt Debra does for us, with music and clues, she is really creative, some of the clues are really hard to find, but it is so much fun. We all were very spoiled by David and Debra. Later that day we came home and the kids received their present from Matt and I: Caleb got a snowboard and Luke got ski's (I was able to purchase all the items on Ebay, KSL and DI some items new, some used). They were very excited.
On Saturday we had the Allen family Christmas party, which consisted of helping my Mom and Step-Dad move to their home and exchanging gifts at Fat Jack's pizza! (I forgot my camera). My Mom gave us a really neat picture of my Dad and a neat card and money for the kids to put in their savings accounts.
Sunday we went to Grandma Lois' home and had dinner with about 50 family members. The highlight of the day was after dinner Grandma brought out presents which were for each of her children. She told them they were going to play the game where you can choose a present or steal from someone who already opened the gift. When the first gift was opened and it was a quilt, emotions ran high and everyone got really excited...Grandma Lois is known for her amazing quilt making talents as she has made all of her grandchildren a quilt when they get married as well as one for her great-grandbabies when they are born. Her quilts auction off at high prices and they are so beautiful and amazing. So back to the story, there are 7 children and a few trades were made but every quilt that was opened was unique and beautiful, everyone was definitely happy with the result. This especially meant so much to her children because this was the first quilt she had made for them, a priceless gift. Grandma also made a very special quilt for Grandpa Jack, pieced together from his flannel work shirts, this brought tears to my eyes to see this.
Monday we headed to Wolf Creek with Matt's family the boys got to use their new gear and try out the slopes...we had so much fun, Caleb improved each time he went down. Luke enjoyed it as well but got a little restless. I will sit out this season of skiing/snowboarding but count me in next year. Matt's family had other obligations for New Year's Eve so they went home we stayed and my brother Spencer his wife Mardee and their kids and Ann and Evan joined us. The kids loved the hot tub and playing games. I feel like we have partied hard this last week. And I am ready to make some goals for the new year.
6 comments:
That does it ! I am going to crash the Madwagon's next year ! Thank you again for all the pictures. I am looking forward to seeing Uncle Jack's quilt....Aunt Mary Lois is amazing ! Love to your family :)
Thanks for sharing that stuff Kate. Very fun to read and see pictures. I have a picture from Fat Jack's I will e-mail to you (Neil the photographer took it). Love you lots!!!
Oh yeah - as I was reading the thing about Debra's Aunt Cora I said to Jeff, I wonder if Kate will name her baby Cora..... then I finished reading the paragraph. That's awesome it's a family name. Tell Matt I think it's cool and you have loved that name for so long but whatever you name her, she'll bear it beautifully.
Hi you guys! What a wonderful Christmas it looks like you all had! We all love the quilts - they're beautiful and so personal and meaningful!
And hey... "Cora Madsen" sounds really pretty! Very suiting I think!
Have fun playing in the snow for us... All the snow on the mountains is gone here and the rain hasn't stopped for several weeks now!
I love reading your blog - I was excited to post my pictures of the quilts & I can't download them. Do you mind forwarding them to me. Thanks a ton!! We love to see you guys.
Thanks for visiting my blog. Your Christmas sounds awesome!! We love the peppermint soap you gave to us too!!:)
Post a Comment